+ Reply to Thread
    Airman Basic

Cleaning your OEM Gator strap

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a grey gator strap. I wear it quite frequently. The strap colour has changed a little and now has a "sheen" on it. I want to try to retain the original look and colour - can you advise on the best way to clean the straps?

Thanks

Ryan

Senior Master Sergeant
    Ryan- every now and then, with a croc or leather strap, I just wash lightly with warm soapy water and leave to dry naturally.
    for the outside surface just a light buff with a duster, however it will age and mature naturally, so probably best to just let it do its thing!
    Rotation is always good, if you have other straps, just to let the croc have a break every once in a while.
    Simon C
    ...follow me on 'twitter' & instagram @SimonCudd,

Airman Basic

Wink Thanks Simon

I agree; I do already rotate between the croc and the original rubber. Between that and my other watch I would say that I have worn the strap for about 150 days. It's still a beauty and is actually very clean. It's just the sheen which has created a slightly green darker colour. I wouldn't mind but there are more protected areas of the strap that reveal the original colouring and make me realize how awesome it was!

So just to confirm, it is safe to lightly wash the whole strap? I won't submerge it, but just want to be clear that it is not a bad idea to get the outside layer damp.

Thanks

Senior Master Sergeant
    Ryan- I have completely 'submerged' mine in the past.
    I use a soft 'nail' brush with soap on the under side (that is in contact with your skin) and then just rinse it off.
    It should have a fairly long life, the winter months are better, where your body temperature isn't as hot!
    Simon C
    ...follow me on 'twitter' & instagram @SimonCudd,