+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Airman Basic
    Quote Originally Posted by Crmsnraider View Post
    As usual B&R is trying and did a proper job, Happy to hear. (as I do dislike threads that just begin bashing due to OP's impatience)
    Why would you characterize my post as impatient? B&R had my watch for a total of almost 6 months. Then, I get the watch back that still has the original problem along with a letter dated years ago. Finally, over the phone, B&R US service pretty much tells me they know it's not really "fixed" but their hands are tied by B&R corporate so I should try my luck here. Where is the bashing? I hope that relaying the situation as well as my disappointment didn't really rise to the level of bashing. (as I do dislike threads that contain posts from fanboys)

Just to add my two-pennorth - I too have a BR01-94 and have found after about a year of ownership that the minute hand now slops back and forth by one whole minute, making catching that train rather difficult!

I have been given the B&R company line that this is 'normal' behaviour, but I have had the watch sent to be repaired under warranty anyway and it has just come back withe the comment "no fault found".

I will be discussing it with the jewellers (who handled sending my watch for repair), on Monday next but, much as I loved wearing the watch, it is totally unacceptable for any watch of any value to show this behaviour (I want to know what the time is, exactly) and I will probably be demanding a refund.

Maybe I'm just not made of the 'right stuff' to put up with these B&R eccentricities, and I'll have to 'slum it' with my beloved old Omega Seamaster GMT...
    Regards
    Mike

Further to my last post I would like to add that I have had a very illuminating discussion with the watchmaker at a local and highly reputable jeweller who explained exactly why the minute hand on a BR01-94 is 'loose'.

It appears that the minute hand is not directly mounted on the output shaft from the movement, but is driven from that shaft via a second pair of gears ('cogs' is I believe the correct term here), and it is this additional link, together with the fact that the minute hand is quite long and relatively heavy, that allows the tip of the hand to 'slop' by as much as one minute (or, strangely, two or three minutes on some people's watches).

So it is not a 'fault' as such, more a 'design flaw', and it is up to the individual owner to decide whether or not the 'sloppiness' is an acceptable amount or not.

I would say that, for me, having the explanation come from a local reputable watchmaker makes me far more ready to keep my watch than the simplistic "no fault found" reply from B&R...
    Regards
    Mike

Airman Basic
    I ended up keeping my watch due to it's sentimental value. It still ********* off when I see that loose minute hand. Unfortunately, I don't wear it very often because it bothers me.

I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has the problem. When I talked to Patrick at B&R, he made it sound like I'd been the only one. However, the fact that there's that old form letter shows they've known about this and chosen not to fix it for YEARS.
    Last edited by Simon C; 12-12-2012 at 09:49.

Oh well, I too will be keeping my watch, 'flawed diamond' though it is.

I have since discovered that, even when you 'jog' the minute hand forward it does not remain a minute fast - in fact the hand sits still untill the second hand 'takes up the slack' as it were.

So my worry that the time on the watch could be unpredictable is actually false. Even after a knock that sends the hand forward a minute the watch will only be fast for the ensuing minute (obviously for this to be true you will have had to set the watch by the time signal when the minute hand is NOT temporarily bumped forward).

Case closed, for me :-)
    Regards
    Mike