+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Airman

BR01-92 Red Radar making noise?

Hello, i am a newbie for owning a watch and i just got my first BR01-92 Red Radar yesterday.

I liked the design and everything about this watch, however i noticed that the automatic movement make whirring sound when i move my hand. I could hear it because it is quite loud. Especially when i am driving in a car, i could hear the whirring sound when I'm turning the car's steering wheel.

Is it normal? Is there anyhow to eliminate this sound?

Thanks for helping and regards,
    -Bliss

How loud this ‘whirring’ sound?

All automatic movements should make a sound when you move your wrist as that is the sound of the rotor swinging backwards and forwards which automatically winds the watch.

But the sound should not be that loud, if your car is anything like my 4x4 diesel with all terrain tires there would be no way I could hear it, unless the vehicle is stationary with the engine turned off.

Mind you typing in front of the computer screen like I am now and moving my wrist back and forward I can hear the rotor swinging, but still the fan on my pc is louder still.

Maybe if it’s that loud it has something to do with the design of the Rader, perhaps take it to an AD to get it checked out.
    Last edited by six13; 04-08-2012 at 11:26.

Airman
    Well, i could hear the voice if i walk alone in my room or moving my arms too. So i think it's quite loud

Since this is my very first automatic watch, i don't know whether this is normal or not. If i shake or move my hand, i could hear some kind like a swirling sound from the watch.

In the car i could hear it if the car is stationary as you said. When i start to drive, it is less audible. However when i make a U turn and quickly turning the steering wheel i could hear it whirring "whrr whrr whrr" and stop once i not move.

Does your watch also make sound like this?

From what you describe it sounds like it is just the rotor ‘whirring’ which is doing its job of winding the watch, all automatic movements make this sound. If it did not make the ‘whirring’ sound there would be something wrong and the movement and it would run down and the watch would stop.

That’s how automatic movements work by the movement of your wrist rotating ‘whirling’ the rotor and winding the watch and yes they do make a ‘whirling’ sound.

I guess with thinner cased watches the ‘whirring’ sound would be more noticeable than say a thick skinned dive watch.

Take the watch off, do not shake it but keep the watch horizontal and in a circular motion parallel to the ground give it a few 360 degree rotations or a figure of 8, you should then hear the rotor ‘whirring’ around, this is normal.
    Last edited by six13; 04-08-2012 at 12:32.

Airman
    Yes, i could hear it if i make figure 8 ... the faster i do it the louder the sound ... If you said this is normal then it is good. I'm quite worried because my friend got a rolex and his rolex does not make sound when he move his arm.

I got one more question, If i accidentally scratch the crystal, can it be replaced by B&R service center?

Maybe the Rolex has more casing material resulting in a quieter sound or maybe the Rolex in house movements are quieter than a stock ETA. The sound should not be overly that loud, I can’t see your watch so I really can’t tell so perhaps there may be something loose in there. An authorized dealer or the B & R service center would be able to give you a more positive answer or put your mind at ease there is nothing wrong.

Ok I had a look at the technical description of the Radar and it has a mineral glass not sapphire and that explains why it has scratched, mineral is relatively easy to scratch if you are not careful.

I would say it is mineral and not crystal as they had to use mineral to incorporate the red colour.

Anything can be replaced at a cost.
    Last edited by six13; 04-11-2012 at 11:23.

Airman
    Right ... I had to ask the service center whether there is something loose or not. Too bad it's not available where i'm lived ... I live in Indonesia and for servicing i had to go to Singapore , wouldn't go there for the next couple of months

The sound is like a dry swirl, perhaps i could somehow record it on video or phone ... In that way you could advise me better?

Yes, gotta be really careful with the mineral glass then ...

I am sure your watch is fine as already mentioned but if you are still concerned just take it to any respected watch dealer or watch maker to let them have a listen to see if the sound is anything else other than the rotor spinning winding the watch.

As it is an ETA movement I would think any well respected watch dealer, maker or repairer would most likely be able to tell you if the sound is a fault.

Of course if they feel it is a fault then you can send it to B & R for servicing under warranty, DO NOT let anyone else open it up even if they offer as your B & R warranty would be void.
    Last edited by six13; 04-11-2012 at 11:15.

Airman
    Will do as you advised, thanks for helping six13!!

Senior Master Sergeant
    Blissnite- the ETA movement can be a little noisy.
    Monitor it, and if the noise changes, keep us posted.
    Simon C
    ...follow me on 'twitter' & instagram @SimonCudd,

Airman
    Yes Simon, will do ... I will keep wearing it and see if there's anything change .. too bad there are no service center in my country, had to wait for going to singapore to make it completely sure ...

Airman
    Finally i went to Singapore last week and had my watch checked in the authorized service center.

The good news is, they said that my watch is having a normal sound. It is the sound of the automatic rotor.

Well at last i could stop worrying :P
    BR 01-92 Red Radar #658/999
    IWC Big Pilot 5004 DFB Edition #038/250
    Rolex Submariner Lunette Verde

Good news! You can enjoy your watch a lot more now.

Airman
    Yes!! I can enjoy it more. I will load some picture of it soon

Anyway six13, any news about your watch? Has it returned yet?

The watch has not been returned yet but the AD is expecting a shipment tomorrow, so hopefully it will be within that.

Glad you enjoy your watch, totally rassured with the little noise

Post pics when you can.
    Gudzyy

BR01 92 | 93 | 94 | 97 | Airborne --- BR-X1
    Pilot Sapphire Chasse Embarquee et 10th Anniversary
    Exclusive trio R.A.I.D
    (gone : 01-92SS Black, 02-94SS, 01-92Radar, Officer 123 silver, 03-94 héritage,0196 white,BR02CF)

Airman
    392389_461732560520005_1128331608_n.jpg That's the picture i took when i went to work

Great photo, great car, great watch

Airman
    Thanks six13, post yours too when it return

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
    Nice one Blissnite, we need more pictures!!!

BR126 Sport Héritage GMT & Flyback
    WW2 Regulateur Officer
    BR01-92 Ltd Compass RoseGold & Carbon
    BR01-92 Ltd Carbon Fiber
    BR01-92 Ltd Airborne II
    BR01-92 Ltd Burning Skull
    BR01-92 Ceramic
    BR01-94 SS White
    BR01-94 Pro Ti