+ Reply to Thread
    Airman Basic

Hydro Challenger

Hi everyone,

Please excuse my english as it's not my mother tongue. I've registered to this forum because I recently bought a B&R Hydro Challenger on the net (I know it's stupid) and now I start to wonder if it's not a fake. I didn't buy it for the brand or to impress somebody but because I flashed on its look, it wasn't a fortune and if it's a fake I'll still be (half) happy nevertheless.
    Before I bought it I 've searched the web and didn't find many information on this particular model which I though was a good sign because why a "unknown" model would be copied. To much work for a very small market don't you think?
    Well after a while I realised that the rotating dial was not exactly the same of the few pictures available to me, and in fact it's like the one of the Hydromax model, which followed the Challenger.
    So fake or not? Is it possible that a previous owner had a dent on that dial and B&R was not able to provide the correct dial, either by mistake or because no one available any more?
    And last question, if it's a fake, the day I have to change the battery, may B&R keep the watch and sue me?

Thanks for your advices, here is the picture of the watch:

DSC02472b.jpg

Command Chief Master Sergeant fatboy1340's Avatar
    Hi,
    welcome to this place.....in my opinion it's 1000% fake....

could you post a pic with the back of the watch

&&&&&&&&&
    In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
    &&&

Airman Basic
    Thanks fatboy but 100% should be enough

2 more pics for your expertise

DSC02482b.jpg DSC02483b.jpg

What I don't understand is why a forger would work so hard to copy something and miss such an important and obvious aspect?

this fake is a mix of the famous hydromax 11000 M waterproof filled with hydroil & type démineur 200M waterproof...

&&&&&&&&
    In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
    &&&

Airman Basic
    I agree now 100% it is a fake but I don't understand why we find so little of this (real) model on the net, furthermore if trying to find a replica it seems impossible. All the "traditional" forgers aren't making it. I guess it's not so easy to make a copy and if one does he'll probably make hundreds, no?

Well at least you guys know now that there are fakes around. Or maybe I got a "unique" fake, collector one...

Can anyone tell me what may happen the day I'll bring it to exchange the battery? Even fake I like it and don't want it to be confiscated.

Many thanks

The Hydromax is not a new model and is no longer made by Bell & Ross and that is why the forgers are not making it anymore.

Since this is a fake and has absolutely nothing to do with Bell & Ross I doubt whether Bell & Ross will change the battery for you and therefore there is no need at all to waste their time sending it in for battery replacement.

It is like owning a fake Ferrari (if there ever was one) and taking it to the Ferrari dealership for an engine replacement.

Just take it to any watchmaker or repairer and they can change the battery for you and most likely while you wait and fewer than 5 minutes for only a few dollars/Euro’s.

You can even replace the battery yourself if you wanted to if you were able to unscrew the back.

Be careful, I doubt if your watch has any decent water proofing, most fakes don’t.

Best of luck.

Airman Basic
    Thank you six13, in fact I was just afraid that my fake was so well copied that it had the oil inside and in order not to loose it I had no other choice than to go to B&R.
    In fact most probably there's no oil inside. For the waterproofing, time will tell.

Your guys enjoy your real Bell&Ross watches, one day I may get one...

Cheers

Airman Basic
    Hi all,
    Sorry about my comment, but I think the RINGTHEBELL watch it's a real B&R Hydro Challenger!!!!!... It looks almost identical to my genuine B&R Hydro by Sinn... My opinion is:
    -The watch it's the 2nd generation of Hydro Challenger (I have the 1st. Gen: B&R Hydro by Sinn)
    -The bezel insert has been replaced by a new generation type
    The last and definitive test is....open in...
    Ringthebell... Wear in health... how much do you pay for it???
    Regards from the land of Tequilas and Mariachi
    Carlos

Airman Basic
    Hi Carlos, thanks for your comment. As you say the moment of truth will be when opening it, but for that I'll wait until I have to replace the battery.

To answer your question I paid 500 $ from a guy working on a ski resort who said he found it in the snow at the end of the day. If it's a real I made a good deal, if not I just have a pleasant watch.
    Once again what makes me wonder is the fact that trying to find fakes of this watch is impossible. Probably to little market... We'll get the answer one day...
    Cheers from the land of Cognac and Champagne ;-)

ok, i learn every day !
    thanx Carlos
    &&&&&&&&&
    &&&

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1340 View Post
    ok, i learn every day !
    thanx Carlos
    &&&&&&&&&
    +1

If it is real then I stand corrected as I made an assumption that it was fake based on previous posts.

Once again this proves that one should never assume.

If your watch does prove to be real then congratulations on your timepiece.

It will be interesting to find out 100% and without any doubt if your watch is genuine or not.

I will stay tuned to the tread.

Quote Originally Posted by six13 View Post
    +1

If it is real then I stand corrected as I made an assumption that it was fake based on previous posts.

Once again this proves that one should never assume.

If your watch does prove to be real then congratulations on your timepiece.

It will be interesting to find out 100% and without any doubt if your watch is genuine or not.

I will stay tuned to the tread.

Ok, I just found this thread:

http://www.sinn-uhrenforum.de/forum/...&threadID=4616

Looks like it may be real?

Quote Originally Posted by six13 View Post
    Ok, I just found this thread:

http://www.sinn-uhrenforum.de/forum/...&threadID=4616

Looks like it may be real?
    Wait there is more:

And this thread too which states:

1997 • World water resistance record awarded to Bell & Ross for the Hydro Challenger (11,000 meters in Guinness Book of Records).

http://www.thewatchquote.com/Bell-Ro...ry-No_3873.htm

And this:

http://www.br-avo.com/forum/showthre...dro-Challenger

And this:

This states with an interview with Carlos Rosillo:

MD: Tell us about the development of the Hydro Challenger.

CR: The creation of the hydro was the result of the following question: how could one improve the readability of a watch under water?

MD: Can you describe the use of silicone in the Hydro Challenger?

CR: The hydro 11100M watch is a direct application of the physical principle by which all liquids are incompressible. By introducing silicon into this watch we have obtained record-breaking water-tightness (1110 atm. i.e. 11,100 metres) but also incomparable readability, the suppression of the mirror-effect under water, silent running which is unique for a quartz watch and extremely hardwearing.

http://people.timezone.com/library/tzints/tzints0013

Happy searching and reading.

well done six13, very interesting !
    &&&&
    &&&

Airman Basic
    Finally, 5 years later I have the answer, and it's not a fake. :-)))
    I've send it to B&R lately to change the battery and refill the oil which leaked a little bit.
    The bad news is that they're asking almost 600€ to do the job, more than what I paid the watch :-(

Don't know what to do. I wonder if a good independent watchmaker other than B&R could do the job...

Staff Sergeant
    Great news....i always thought it looked genuine myself...id probably pay the €600 ...still you have it for less around $1k....
    01/94 Carbon Fiber .......................Limited Edition
    01/94 Carbon Fiber Phantom .......Limited Edition
    01/92 Flight Instrument Horizon...Limited Edition
    01/92 Ceramic
    WW1-97 Reserve de Marche

Airman Basic
    Thank you for the advice. In fact I wouldn't mind to pay 600€ if it was for once, but not every 6 or 7 years when the battery will need to be replaced.