+ Reply to Thread
    Airman Basic

BR03-92 Ceramic Crown Issue

Hey everyone.

I just acquired a gorgeous ceramic BR03 and think it's a fantastic piece.

I noticed this morning when I was changing straps that the crown doesn't seem to sit flush and seems some what crooked. As seen below.

IMG_3833.jpg

As soon as I saw the gap I had visions of water flooding the case. Fortunately, I have yet to swim with the watch.

So, I guess the big question is.....where is the gasket on the BR03 crown?

Is there one on the crown itself and another on the other side of the case?

I still have a year and a half warranty on the watch, so I can send it in....but I really don't want to be without my watch for that long.

Also, who does the servicing in Canada, (Toronto)?

Thanks!

Cam

Staff Sergeant
    Lovely purchase ,..there certainly isn't a gasket on the outer crown side of case. I have a couple of 01 Chrono and the pushpieces have visible gaps between them and the case too so definitely inside the movement housing I'd say. Will the crown ease a little and straighten?.....or trust in your warranty ....
    01/94 Carbon Fiber .......................Limited Edition
    01/94 Carbon Fiber Phantom .......Limited Edition
    01/92 Flight Instrument Horizon...Limited Edition
    01/92 Ceramic
    WW1-97 Reserve de Marche

I would take it back under warranty.

Even if for some reason it is not covered it should be repaired if there is something wrong.

The watch is too beautiful to just let it slide.

The time your watch is away may appear forever but once it is back on your wrist that time away will soon become a distant memory like a drop in the ocean.

Bought new or second hand?
    Gudzyy

BR01 92 | 93 | 94 | 97 | Airborne --- BR-X1
    Pilot Sapphire Chasse Embarquee et 10th Anniversary
    Exclusive trio R.A.I.D
    (gone : 01-92SS Black, 02-94SS, 01-92Radar, Officer 123 silver, 03-94 héritage,0196 white,BR02CF)

Airman Basic
    Second hand.

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
    Gasket is inside imho.
    But show your AD this little gap, to be sure it's normal or not.

BR126 Sport Héritage GMT & Flyback
    WW2 Regulateur Officer
    BR01-92 Ltd Compass RoseGold & Carbon
    BR01-92 Ltd Carbon Fiber
    BR01-92 Ltd Airborne II
    BR01-92 Ltd Burning Skull
    BR01-92 Ceramic
    BR01-94 SS White
    BR01-94 Pro Ti

Airman Basic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronofred View Post
    Gasket is inside imho.
    But show your AD this little gap, to be sure it's normal or not.
    Went to the AD and they said they have seen it before. The picture above was taken with a macro setting and we viewed the crown with a 10x loop. After the AD, I brought it home and tested it in a bowl of water and everything was fine. It's purely cosmetic and again, it's hardly visible to the naked eye.

Thanks for all your help fellas!

Cam

Good news BRo, thanks for updating!

WW2 Regulateur Officer
    BR01-92 Ltd Carbon Fiber
    BR01-92 Ltd Airborne II
    BR01-92 Ceramic
    BR01-94 SS White
    BR01-94 Pro Ti

Command Chief Master Sergeant fatboy1340's Avatar
    happy end !
    &&&
    In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
    &&&

Airman First Class
    I got a brand new green ceramic and it's the same way. I'm assuming this zoom level in the photo makes it look as extreme as possible. Mine allows a piece of paper to just barely slide under one side, literally a hair off, but almost identical to the issue pictured I the OP.

Airman
    I have a green ceramic (purchased new 2 yrs ago) and my crown is in a similar position as well.

...So I take it this isn't something to worry about? Thanks.

-Mark

Airman First Class
    Well, I dunno, I sent mine in to get a misaligned date wheel taken care of. Then the watch came back with the wrong dial, believe it or not it took me a few days to even notice my dial no longer said "military type" (6 weeks of not seeing the watch, I guess recall fades). Anyways, I sent it in again to have the dial mistake corrected. At the time of the first send-in I mentioned the crooked crown, they straightened it but it was not flush against the case. Now I got the watch back with the correct dial and my crown is straight and flush, but the watch was NEW and this all took several months.

This part should be straight on any watch, and in my opinion for the price of ownership there should be no shame in asking for repair on it. None of my watches have a crooked crown, even cheap stuff I bought as a young man, and I certainly wouldn't expect it on a brand-new watch within this segment. Technically, nothing to worry about though unless you are the type to be bothered by it; I.e., the case will not flood and it will still perform as intended.
    Last edited by J_Dubbs; 07-26-2014 at 23:35.

Airman
    I actually sent mine out a few weeks ago for a similar problem with the date wheel. It would only be problematic when the dates were in the 20s. I made a note for B&R to check out the crown issue as well - but, if that is how it is suppose to be then so be it.

Anyway, hopefully these issues are correctly taken care of and will not need to address them in the future. I know it sucks because my watch is on the newer side, but it is what is it - still love the watch. Now just waiting impatiently for it!!

-Md

Airman
    Just an fyi, but I received my military ceramic back from service and it appears that the date wheel is properly aligned, along with the crown being completely flush with the case - B&R replaced my old crown with a new one..

Good news !!!!

WW2 Regulateur Officer
    BR01-92 Ltd Carbon Fiber
    BR01-92 Ltd Airborne II
    BR01-92 Ceramic
    BR01-94 SS White
    BR01-94 Pro Ti

Airman First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Markd48 View Post
    I actually sent mine out a few weeks ago for a similar problem with the date wheel. It would only be problematic when the dates were in the 20s. I made a note for B&R to check out the crown issue as well - but, if that is how it is suppose to be then so be it.

Anyway, hopefully these issues are correctly taken care of and will not need to address them in the future. I know it sucks because my watch is on the newer side, but it is what is it - still love the watch. Now just waiting impatiently for it!!

-Md
    In a way it makes me feel like we are true "BRos" because we had the same set of issues on the same model of watch. Mine is also taken care of and I've been enjoying it very much. Glad to hear they took care of everything!

Airman
    Yes! thanks.. I put my heritage down and gonna wear this for a while. It is just such a cool watch, especially on black rubber imo... Enjoy!