+ Reply to Thread
    Airman Basic

BR 01 92 Vintage

First post, many questions....There wasn't much info, or I should say, I do not know a lot about watches, so I am a little confused as to how to keep my new baby from running. I was under the impression that whether I wore the watch, or not, I had to wind it daily. I have an Ebel automatic, that I keep on a watch winder. Would it help to do the same with my BR? Does it hurt the watch to continually start and stop? Again, there is a single sentence in the owners manual regarding this and it's a little vague for someone who knows nothing about watches. Thanks for any help!

HAWK

Airman First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    First post, many questions....There wasn't much info, or I should say, I do not know a lot about watches, so I am a little confused as to how to keep my new baby from running. I was under the impression that whether I wore the watch, or not, I had to wind it daily. I have an Ebel automatic, that I keep on a watch winder. Would it help to do the same with my BR? Does it hurt the watch to continually start and stop? Again, there is a single sentence in the owners manual regarding this and it's a little vague for someone who knows nothing about watches. Thanks for any help!

HAWK
    Welcome. I've never bothered with watch winders. There are two schools of thought: One is that a watch winder is good because it prevents frequent manipulation of the crown by the user and it keeps the watch conveniently set during shelf time for the next wear. The other side is that the winder puts additional working hours on the movement, thus being mechanical the parts will wear out faster. Whatever side of that you end up on is up to you, for me I don't use winders on any of my watches.

For the BR if you are wearing it daily there should be no need to wind it. If you shelf it and don't use a winder, after the power reserve runs out you will find it stopped and need to wind it. Most of the time my watches are stopped when I pull them off the shelf for some wrist time. I never have stripped a crown but I always counter-turn so I can feel when the threads line up, then I change directions and tighten, not too tight only until it snugly stops. So many people crank hard on their crowns when tightening, don't do that, once it stops turning it's tight enough, don't try to line the ampersand up any particular way, etc, just stop tightening when it is snug. Also, I usually just do 40 turns when winding, most are probably half turns.
    BRs Golden Heritage Automatic (for her)
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    BR03-92 Military Type (green ceramic)
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

IG: @jazzypantsyeah

Airman Basic
    Thanks man. I had no idea this was an automatic winding watch!

Command Chief Master Sergeant fatboy1340's Avatar
    welcome to this place,
    look forward to welcoming you to the BROG : pics please asap.
    nothing to add...40 turns...
    agree with J_Dubbs

&&&&&&

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
    Welcome aBoArd Hawk!
    Congratulations for your purchase.
    J exactly answered I think...
    Don't like winders cause it's one of my pleasures to wind my watches manually.
    Feel free to post up some pics of your Bell!!

BR126 Sport Héritage GMT & Flyback
    WW2 Regulateur Officer
    BR01-92 Ltd Compass RoseGold & Carbon
    BR01-92 Ltd Carbon Fiber
    BR01-92 Ltd Airborne II
    BR01-92 Ltd Burning Skull
    BR01-92 Ceramic
    BR01-94 SS White
    BR01-94 Pro Ti

Airman First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronofred View Post
    Welcome aBoArd Hawk!
    Congratulations for your purchase.
    J exactly answered I think...
    Feel free to post up some pics of your Bell!!

Yes, totally agree about winding the watch being a favorite thing to do. Something about taking one off the shelf and winding it is just fun. My PAM112 is manual wind and when it was my only watch winding it everyday was my favorite morning routine...
    BRs Golden Heritage Automatic (for her)
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    BR03-92 Military Type (green ceramic)
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

IG: @jazzypantsyeah

Command Chief Master Sergeant fatboy1340's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronofred View Post
    well say Fred !
    &&&