+ Reply to Thread
    Airman First Class

Green tint glass smudgy

A few days ago while driving into the sunset I noticed a rather significant amount of smudging on my green ceramic. I believe this is the BR v2 of this particular model, without the "Milgauss edge" on the glass like the v1 green ceramic had. The glass is tinted green, and I think it's integrated with the AR coating or film inside, hence it's probably prone to smudging easily when service handles it.

This watch has a fair bit of history, has been sent in to Miami BR tech since new for various issues; service center put the wrong dial on it one time, hands misaligned the other, and last time there were white specs on the inside of the glass (lume chips?). Brand new it came with a crooked crown and misaligned date wheel, which is something I've heard of on others... Now I've had it back a few months, and either I've just noticed this smudging now, or it's gotten progressively worse. Seems pretty easy to notice it, so at this point I think I'll be sending it in again.

I've attached some pics, keep in mind the outside of the glass is 100% spotless, any smudging you see is on the inside of the glass. I'm not thrilled about having this thing opened up again, but it's hard to enjoy with the smudged glass. Most of the time in normal lighting I don't easily notice it, but now I find myself looking for it. One of the images shows no smudges, and this is just the watch in a normal room lighting facing the camera. It's when the watch is under a light or in the sun that the green tint is more visible, and with that a few blotches become apparent. I should also say, this is not easy to capture in a photo, mostly seems to be around the 12 and 3 area, at an angle in the right light not hard to notice it.

Of all my watches this might be my favorite design, but it's super frustrating to have all these issues with it. I've considered selling it and repurchasing a new one just to start over, but I really shouldn't have to do that. Still very much under warranty, images attached, any thoughts? I've heard of cloudiness in the tint before, or something similar, I think... any others out there?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by J_Dubbs; 08-29-2015 at 04:11.
    BRs Golden Heritage Automatic (for her)
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    BR03-92 Military Type (green ceramic)
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

IG: @jazzypantsyeah

Sorry to hear that mate. That smudge will annoy me to the end of the earth. Hopefully the service centre will put you as priority 1 and get it back to you ASAP.
    BR 03-94 Carbon
    BR 01-92 Ltd Green Radar

Instagram: Mr_JHsieh

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
    There's a problem indeed. Did you put your watch in the water ?

BR126 Sport Héritage GMT & Flyback
    WW2 Regulateur Officer
    BR01-92 Ltd Compass RoseGold & Carbon
    BR01-92 Ltd Carbon Fiber
    BR01-92 Ltd Airborne II
    BR01-92 Ltd Burning Skull
    BR01-92 Ceramic
    BR01-94 SS White
    BR01-94 Pro Ti

Airman First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronofred View Post
    There's a problem indeed. Did you put your watch in the water ?
    No water, and I rotate with seven watches so it's not even a ton of wrist time... part of me was starting to feel crazy having sent this in so many times, but the problems have been impossible to simply look past.
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

Staff Sergeant
    Dig your heels in and demand a full replacement .....
    01/94 Carbon Fiber .......................Limited Edition
    01/94 Carbon Fiber Phantom .......Limited Edition
    01/92 Flight Instrument Horizon...Limited Edition
    01/92 Ceramic
    WW1-97 Reserve de Marche

Airman First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageRow View Post
    Dig your heels in and demand a full replacement .....
    That would be ideal, but I doubt they'll do it. I guess each interaction they have a chance to impress a loyal fan, so maybe they will seize this opportunity and send a replacement. I saw one at Printempts in Paris, it had the v1 glass with the green edge... Actually thought about buying it and selling this one just to have a fresh start. My AD is very accommodating, wonderful people there, and they have taken it on to ship for me.

I've had this theory for a while that the service center bent my seconds hand upward, posted (http://forum.bellross.com/showthread...able-tolerance) about it after the last service when they misaligned the hands. Anyways, part of me thinks that maybe the seconds hand is lightly touching the glass, which might explain why over time it's gotten more smudgy in the same range where the seconds hand sweeps. At this point I even offered to pay for new glass or a new top, even though under warranty. I really just want it to measure up to my other pieces, I want to enjoy the watch for once, and I'm feeling worn-out/exhausted having to see a new issue every time it is opened by service.
    Last edited by J_Dubbs; 08-29-2015 at 20:52.
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

Staff Sergeant
    I think with the history of the watch you have a very good case...
    01/92 Ceramic
    WW1-97 Reserve de Marche

I go with Rowan here (unusually) demand a complete replacement
    Unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheBounder
    Manila-Philippines

BR02-94 Rose Gold
    BR 126 Sport

Omega Speedmaster CoAx 3313

BREMONT U2 DLC
    BREMONT Solo

Gone: 02-94 Steel, 01-93GMT, 126Vintage, Hydromax x 2 (white and Black face), BR02 Pro, 03 Military (special) BR01-94, BR01/92 Carbonfibre Ltd, BR01/94 Blue Ltd, Pro Ti 01/94,

Command Chief Master Sergeant fatboy1340's Avatar
    keep us inform, please
    &&&
    In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
    &&&

Hi, it seems possible to me and more so as the watch as been opened numerous times that the smudging could well be skin oils from thumbs or fingers on the inside of the glass. In certain higher humidity levels the skin oils may become more apparent and also shown in different lighting conditions.

Well this is what I am suspecting, do you think this could be the reason?

I don't blame you for wanting to sell it and start from new. I would feel the same way in not just a watch but any manufactured item that has been sent back for multiple warranty issues.

I hope it all works out for the best.

Airman First Class
    Thanks for the support... I mentioned full replacement to the AD but they seem to think it's unlikely because what we are dealing with is "cosmetic." I think it's more of a service issue, and the fact remains the time out for service on this watch during my ownership almost seems equal with the wrist time. I mean, 6 weeks every time I've sent it in, and this is something like the fifth time, either way that's a lot of time with the watch out of my hands. It's completely frustrating, especially the details around a few of the quality issues.

This is when I really hope someone at the mothership would kindly override the standard procedure to go above and beyond for me. Obviously, the info is here, and there's plenty of opportunity for someone to take control on the service side, but I'm probably expecting too much. I do want a replacement, or I want them to rebuild this same case in Switzerland, start from scratch on it. Only someone highly empowered would be able to make either of those things happen.

I'll definitely keep everyone updated, and hopefully the report will be good news.
    Last edited by J_Dubbs; 09-02-2015 at 03:29.
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

I think you have a solid case for replacement - I personally wouldn't accept anything less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheBounder
    Manila-Philippines

BR02-94 Rose Gold
    BR 126 Sport

Omega Speedmaster CoAx 3313

BREMONT U2 DLC
    BREMONT Solo

Gone: 02-94 Steel, 01-93GMT, 126Vintage, Hydromax x 2 (white and Black face), BR02 Pro, 03 Military (special) BR01-94, BR01/92 Carbonfibre Ltd, BR01/94 Blue Ltd, Pro Ti 01/94,

Airman First Class
    I just got an email today from my AD that B&R finally sent over a return label for this!! Apparently my AD cannot send to BR until they get a label, and my understanding is this is a BR policy, not my AD. This seems completely unacceptable, and unfortunately right now I don't have further details. I think I've owned this watch a little more than a year, maybe close to two, either way it's spent more time at Miami BRTech & my AD than on my wrist at this point.

My AD has been having a very tough time getting a response and they advised that I reach out to someone at Bell & Ross to move things along to a solution I will be satisfied with. The story of the watch is well-documented, can anyone out there hear me? Can someone from B&R contact me?
    Last edited by J_Dubbs; 10-24-2015 at 07:00.
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

Hi J_Dubbs,

We will contact you by email in order to solve this

WM

Good luck mate!
    I have faith!
    BR 03-94 Carbon
    BR 01-92 Ltd Green Radar

Instagram: Mr_JHsieh

Airman First Class
    I'm pleased to update this thread to say I got my watch back today and it looks great! It went back to the Switzerland factory for the work but the wait was worth it. For whatever reason this is my favorite watch, and it's so nice to have it back- posted pics on IG.
    BR01-96 Grande Date
    Space 1
    AIRSPEED

Command Chief Master Sergeant fatboy1340's Avatar
    happy end !
    HAGWE
    In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
    &&&

Staff Sergeant
    Great news and we'll done for persisting..
    01/92 Ceramic
    WW1-97 Reserve de Marche